The school relies on the UITS network operations group for the overall management of the wired and wireless networks. This includes the installation of data jacks and wireless access points as well as the management of the routing infrastructure serving all Luddy School facilities. Furthermore, the network software infrastructure, including services like DHCP and DNS, will be wholly managed by UITS. The portions of the IU network in use by the school will be managed in accordance with all IU policies, including IT-19 Extending the University Data Network, as follows:
- All devices on the network will be inventoried with the hardware MAC address per IT Policy: Hardware and System Inventory
- All devices with static IP addresses will include the primary DNS name in the inventory database.
- ITG-managed devices registered for use with DHCP on the IU network will be registered using the soicmreg group account and UIPO reports of suspicious activities sent to that account will generate a help desk request to track the resolution.
- Remote access services, including VPN servers and dial-in pools, will not be deployed.
- Layer 2 devices (such as switches and hubs) will not be used to extend the network beyond the room containing the data jack.
- Layer 3 devices (such as routers) will not be used.
- Wireless networks and routers will not be deployed, per policy IT-20 Wireless Networking.
Exceptions to policy
Given the unique requirements of network research being done within the school, exceptions to this policy may be needed in order to facilitate sponsored research projects. Exceptions require approval of the Luddy IT Director and the Luddy Chief Information Privacy and also require UITS approval in accordance with IT-19 Extending the University Data Network and IT-20 Wireless Networking.
Network-related inventory procedures are defined in IT Policy: Hardware and System Inventory.
All exceptions will be handled via the standard Luddy ITG help desk ticketing system and addressed on a case-by-case basis in conjunction with IU UITS network administrators.